Dakar 2016: Iveco on the podium again in a shortened Stage 3
The Dakar Rally continued to experience difficulties due to adverse weather conditions as Stage 3 got underway. Federico Villagra recorded the third fastest time with his Iveco Powerstar, leading the way for Team PETRONAS De Rooy Iveco.
The third stage of the Dakar 2016 was hindered by heavy rains, flooded roads and landslides that forced organisers to shorten the Trucks course. Argentinian pilot Federico Villagra of new Team La Gloriosa De Rooy Iveco put Iveco on the podium again, with a third place in the stage between Termas de Rio Hondo and Jujuy. He is also third in the general standings, at just 1 minute and 21 seconds from leader Hans Stacey.
Ton van Genugten was the second best on Iveco's team today, coming in 6th place. The leader of the Team PETRONAS De Rooy Iveco, the Dutchman Gerard De Rooy, got to a slower start on the extremely slippery conditions of the first part of the track. He made up some ground once conditions improved, finishing in 8th place, 4 minutes and 28 seconds behind the leader. Aleš Loprais made it into the Top 10 again in this stage and finished the day in 10th place.
Pep Vila was initially classified in 14th place, crossing the finish line 9 minutes and 57 seconds behind the leader. However, he was later moved down to 36th place in the official classification, 32 minutes and 8 seconds behind the leader.
Results Stage 3 Trucks
1. Kolomy (CZE), Tatra – 1:42:40
2. Stacey (NLD), MAN – plus 17 seconds
3. FEDERICO VILLAGRA (ARG), IVECO – plus 54 seconds
4. Versluis (NLD), MAN – plus 1 minute 55 seconds
5. Mardeev (RUS), Kamaz – plus 2 minutes 46 seconds
6. TON VAN GENUGTEN (NLD), IVECO – plus 3 minutes 4 seconds
8. GERARD DE ROOY (NLD), IVECO - plus 4 minutes 28 seconds
10. ALEŠ LOPRAIS (CZE), IVECO – plus 8 minutes 52 seconds
36. PEP VILA (SPA), IVECO – plus 32 minutes 8 seconds
General Classification Trucks
1. Stacey (NLD), MAN – 6:03:15
2. Versluis (NLD), MAN – plus 26 seconds
3. FEDERICO VILLAGRA (ARG), IVECO – plus 1 minute 21 seconds
4. GERARD DE ROOY (NLD), IVECO – plus 6 minutes 2 seconds
5. TON VAN GENUGTEN (NLD), IVECO – plus 8 minutes 27 seconds
7. ALEŠ LOPRAIS (CZE), IVECO – plus 10 minutes 41 seconds
22. PEP VILA (SPA), IVECO – plus 46 minutes 59 seconds
To learn more about Iveco's teams and vehicles and to follow Iveco day-by-day throughout the race, visit www.iveco.com/dakar
Sara BuosiEurope IVECO Press OfficeItalysara.firstname.lastname@example.org+39 011 00 72965+39 335 799 5028